Erectile Dysfunction/ Impotence: Causes, Effects & Treatment – Dr Oluranti Adekunle
Erectile dysfunction, also known as impotence, is the inability to get and maintain an erection. It is a common condition that affects men of all ages, but is more common in older men.
There are many possible causes of erectile dysfunction, including physical and psychological factors. Physical causes include:
- nervous system problems, such as Parkinson’s disease
- hormonal problems, such as low testosterone
- injuries to the penis, such as from prostate surgery
- surgeries or treatments for cancer, such as radiation therapy
- drugs, such as alcohol, cocaine, and certain prescription medications
Psychological causes include:
- relationship problems
Erectile dysfunction can also be a side effect of some medications. If you have erectile dysfunction, it doesn’t mean you’re not interested in sex. It can be frustrating and embarrassing, but it is not a reflection on your manhood.
There are many treatment options available for erectile dysfunction. These include:
- oral medications, such as sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis), and vardenafil (Levitra)
- injections into the penis
- vacuum devices that use negative pressure to pull blood into the penis
- penis pumps
The best treatment option for you will depend on the cause of your erectile dysfunction and your overall health. Talk to your doctor about all of your treatment options, including risks and benefits.
- Erectile Dysfunction: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
- Erectile dysfunction – Diagnosis and treatment – Mayo Clinic
- Erectile Dysfunction: Treatment & Care