Erectile Dysfunction Treatment Options Presented by Dr. Bhavik Shah
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is a common sexual disorder affecting men. It is characterized by the inability to get or keep an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse.
Although it is not a life-threatening condition, it can cause psychological distress and impact a man’s quality of life.
There are many treatment options available for ED, and Dr. Bhavik Shah presents the most popular ones in this video.
There are various medical treatments for ED, including:
- Oral medications: These are the most common treatments for ED. They include phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors (such as sildenafil, tadalafil, and vardenafil) and alprostadil.
- Injections: Alprostadil is also available as an injection, which is injected into the side of the penis.
- Vacuum devices: These devices are used to create an erection by drawing blood into the penis. A vacuum constriction device (VCD) is a plastic cylinder that is placed over the penis and a pump is used to create a vacuum. This vacuum draws blood into the penis, causing it to become erect.
- Penile implants: This is a surgical procedure that involves placing a device inside the penis. The most common type of implant is a semi-rigid rod that can be bent up or down.
ED can also be caused or exacerbated by psychological factors, such as stress, anxiety, or depression. In these cases, psychological treatments, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), may be helpful.
Certain lifestyle changes can also help to treat or prevent ED, including:
- Exercise: Regular exercise can improve blood flow and reduce stress.
- Weight loss: Losing weight can help to improve blood flow and reduce stress.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can damage blood vessels and reduce blood flow.
- Reduce alcohol intake: Drinking too much alcohol can damage blood vessels and reduce blood flow.
If you are experiencing ED, talk to your doctor about the best treatment options for you.