What treatments are available for erectile dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability to get or maintain an erection. It can be caused by physical or psychological reasons. Physical causes include:
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
- certain prescription medications
- injury to the nerves or blood vessels
Psychological causes include:
- relationship problems
There are a number of treatments available for ED, including:
- Oral medications. These include sildenafil (Viagra), vardenafil (Levitra), tadalafil (Cialis) and avanafil (Stendra). These medications work by increasing blood flow to the penis.
- Penile injections. These injections, which use a fine needle to deliver the medication alprostadil (Caverject Impulse, Edex), can be effective. But they require proper training to avoid injury to the penis.
- Vacuum devices. These devices, which use a pump to draw blood into the penis and then release it as the erection subsides, are effective in 90% of men.
- Penile implants. This is a surgical procedure in which a device is inserted into the shaft of the penis to produce an erection.
If you are experiencing ED, talk to your doctor about the best treatment option for you.