Menopur Injection Instructions for IVF | Step by Step Menopur Instructions | Barbados IVF
If you are undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF), your healthcare provider will likely prescribe Menopur injections as part of your treatment. While the thought of giving yourself injections may be daunting, the process is actually not difficult once you get the hang of it. With our step-by-step Menopur injection instructions, you will be an expert in no time.
What is Menopur?
Menopur is a brand name for the medication menotropin, which is a man-made form of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). FSH is a hormone that is produced naturally by the body and is responsible for stimulating the growth of eggs in the ovaries. By injecting Menopur, you are essentially giving your body a boost of FSH, which can help to produce more eggs during IVF.
Before You Begin
Before you start giving yourself Menopur injections, there are a few things you should do:
- Talk to your doctor or nurse about your injection technique. Each person is different, so it is important to find an injection technique that works best for you. Your healthcare provider can show you how to inject Menopur or refer you to a nurse who can teach you.
- Gather all of your supplies. You will need Menopur vials, a new syringe for each injection, alcohol swabs, and a sharps container for disposing of the used syringes. Make sure you have everything you need before you start so that you don’t have to stop in the middle of the injection.
- Wash your hands. This may seem like a no-brainer, but it is important to wash your hands thoroughly before handling any medication or supplies.
Step-by-Step Menopur Injection Instructions
- Clean the top of the Menopur vial. Take an alcohol swab and clean the top of the vial. This will help to prevent contamination.
- Attach the syringe to the vial. Remove the cap from the syringe and insert the needle into the vial. Turn the vial upside down and pull back on the plunger to draw up the correct amount of Menopur. In most cases, you will need to draw up 1 mL of Menopur.
- Check for air bubbles. Hold the vial and syringe upside down and tap the syringe to bring any air bubbles to the top. Slowly push on the plunger to release the air bubbles and draw up the correct amount of Menopur again. You may need to repeat this step a few times until there are no air bubbles in the syringe.
- Detach the syringe from the vial. Remove the needle from the vial and recap the syringe.
- Inject the Menopur. Using your chosen injection technique, inject the Menopur into your body. Be sure to follow your healthcare provider’s instructions on where to inject the medication.
- Dispose of the syringe. Once you have injected the Menopur, place the used syringe in a sharps container. This container can be purchased at most pharmacies or