What is an erection self-test?
An erection self-test is a way for a man to check if he has erectile dysfunction (ED). It is also known as a penile self-injection test.
A man injects a medicine into his penis. This medicine makes the blood vessels in the penis widen. This lets more blood flow into the penis, making it erect.
A man then uses a measuring device to check how erect his penis is. The device is called a RigiScan.
If a man’s penis does not get erect, it may be a sign that he has ED.
How to do erection self-test
To do the erection self-test, you will need:
- A measuring device called a RigiScan.
- An injectable medicine called alprostadil.
Your doctor will prescribe the alprostadil and the RigiScan.
You will also need:
- A clean, dry work surface, such as a counter in the bathroom.
- A clean, dry cotton swab.
- A clean, dry Band-Aid.
To prepare for the injection:
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
- Clean the work surface with soap and water.
- Put the alprostadil in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before you use it.
To give the injection:
- Take the alprostadil out of the refrigerator. Do not let it warm up at room temperature.
- Pull the cap off the needle. Do not throw the cap away. You will need it later.
- Hold the alprostadil in your hand. The needle should be pointing up.
- Use the cotton swab to clean the rubber top of the medicine vial.
- Turn the vial upside down. Rest it on the cotton swab.
- Insert the needle into the rubber top of the vial.
- Pull the plunger back to the line that matches the dose of alprostadil your doctor prescribed. This will fill the syringe with air.
- Hold the vial upside down. Keep the needle in the vial. Tap the syringe with your finger to make sure there are no air bubbles.
- Pull the plunger back to the line that matches the dose of alprostadil your doctor prescribed. This will draw the medicine into the syringe.
- Take the needle out of the vial.
- Hold the syringe with the needle pointing up. Tap the syringe with your finger to make sure there are no air bubbles. If there are air bubbles, push the plunger up to expel the air bubbles. Do not push the plunger too far. You may expel all of the medicine.
- Put the cap back on the needle.
The injection will be given into the side of your penis. To find the side of your penis, look for the fleshy part. This is where the injection will be given.
- Hold the syringe like a pencil. Rest your hand on the work surface.
- Pull back the skin on the